My Thoughts — Lookout — Episode 7 (split episodes 13-14)
At the end of my recaps I have a “My Thoughts” section where I summarize my opinions. For certain series, instead of a recap, which is a blow-by-blow of the episode, I’m writing a thought-cap of the episode. I just finished episode 7 (split episodes 13 and 14) of Lookout.
Each of the Lookout 16 episodes are split into two. Per Han Cinema…MBC’s latest Monday/Tuesday drama “Lookout” is a 32 episode run…It is a part of a new test split that both MBC and SBS are trying.
* Best episode of the series. I was riveted from the start until the end. At one point I looked at the clock and didn’t know if I could take another 20 minutes of tension. Would two members of the justice team would be caught? The justice team – former detective now fugitive Jo Soo Ji, hacker Kong Kyung Soo (Key) and “I see everything courtesy of CCTV” Seo Bo Mi (Kim Seul Gi) – aren’t exposed yet but the police now are searching for Soo Ji and Bo Mi. Only Kyung Soo isn’t being hunted by the police. Poor guy couldn’t clone himself to do everything he wanted to. My only quibble is how long it took him to drive to their location. That felt way too long.
Soo Ji got shot and was almost killed by a henchman but she managed to escape with a help from the boss and Bo Mi.
* Bo Mi didn’t just walk out of the apartment. She couldn’t. Soo Ji got captured coming back for her. This was an unwanted repeat of Bo Mi’s past. Bo Mi’s older sister was killed after hiding Bo Mi under the bed. Once Bo Mi realized Soo Ji was shot and bleeding on the ground floor, she knew she had to act. Bless her heart, she got out there. But it wasn’t easy. She had a panic attack. A phone call from Kyung Soo and her own pep talk gave her to strength to search for Soo Ji. It was a terrific episode for this character!
* Prosecutor Jang Do Han (Kim Young Kwang) put a target on his back as he strove to help Soo Ji and Bo Mi and not blow his cover. He wasn’t completely successful, which was awesome. So far, he’s not made any missteps because he’s held to a carefully scripted set of actions. But all hell broke loose and he had to improvise. Some of his actions were out of character and the good guys and the bad guys took notice. Prosecutor Kim is now suspicious of Do Han. Does Do Han realize this? The powerful prosecutor Yoon Seung Ro is now suspicious of Do Han. Does Do Han realize this?
* Detective Jo Soo Ji (Lee Si Young) couldn’t save Bo Mi and she couldn’t save herself. Soo Ji has been almost superhuman this series. This episode the good luck ended. The police captured her. Prosecutor Kim told her this time he’d capture the powerful puppet master. Soo Ji didn’t believe him and pointedly stated that the system was rigged so the truth would never come to light. I could only agree. Prosecutor Kim clings to the system to capture and prosecute criminals. But the system is headed by a criminal and his lackeys that twist situations to his favor. Rouge efforts is the only way justice can be obtained.
* Team Lead Lee Soon Ae (Kim Sun Young) saw Detective Nam break away to capture Soo Ji. Does she realize that Detective Nam did this at the direction of a more powerful person? Does she realize Detective Nam is a lackey for Prosecutor Yoon?
* New writer Kim Soo Eun delivered a tight, tense, riveting episode. Soo Ji had to be captured at some point. But the right set of circumstances allowed her to escape. The target on Soo Ji’s back just got bigger. The boss Do Han now has a target on his back. Bo Mi now has a target on her back. Navigating the intricacies of the old cases, good and bad forces, will not be easy or for the faint of heart. Hold on, this is going to be a riveting ride!
* Ranking the episodes (on a scale from 1-10) had me rank this episode as excellent. My episode ranking chart is below.