My Thoughts — My Sassy Girl — Episode 1
At the end of my recaps I have a “My Thoughts” section where I summarize my opinions. I just finished episode 1 of My Sassy Girl.
* I dislike the “drunk and puke” first encounter between a couple. Dramas love to use this cliche. I do not like watching it. I’ll put it behind me.
* Kyun Woo (Joo Won) could be considered “My Sassy Guy”. He’s smart, good with a quip and unafraid to speak his mind. It looks like he’ll need to become more aware of the palace politics. I’m watching this drama for Joo Won who is one of the actors I regularly watch. My Sassy Girl was the last drama before enlisting in the army on May 16 to fulfill his mandatory service, so I plan to savor his portrayal. Joo Won is adept a physical comedy as Tomorrow’s Cantabile proved.
* Princess Hye Myung (Oh Yeon Seo) is spirited and a bit tactless. I’m all for a princess that isn’t demure and dull. I liked when she played soccer with the young prince saving him from boring studies and providing a bit of exercise. Of course the Queen wasn’t appreciative. Oh Yeon Seo is adept a physical comedy as Come Back Mister proved. Her skin looked fabulous.
* New writer Yoon Hyo Je delivered an initial episode that dangled potential but didn’t fully grab me. What is it with all the new writers in 2017? I’m all for fresh faces in writers, but goodness! 2017 new writer dramas I’ve watched include Voice (Writer Ma), Tunnel (Writer Lee), and My Secret Romance (Writer Kim). My Sassy Girl is pre-produced which bumps my expectations of a writer and the production team.
* Ranking the episodes (on a scale from 1-10) had me rank episode 1 as fair. My episode ranking chart is below.
* The 1st song of the OST “Because It Is You” by The One is a ballad.