My Thoughts — Lookout — Episode 1 (split episodes 1-2)
At the end of my recaps I have a “My Thoughts” section where I summarize my opinions. I just finished episode 1 of Lookout. This show has grabbed my attention. Shout out to Beez for recommending I check out this series. Lookout’s episodes are split into two. Per Han Cinema…MBC’s latest Monday/Tuesday drama “Lookout” is a 32 episode run, but don’t let that number fool you. It is a part of a new test split that both MBC and SBS are trying.
* The opening scene grabbed me. Good music, good chase scene, ending with a daring move by our hero – a woman! Love it!
* Strong women always interest me. Let’s face it, kdramas are heavily populated by sweet bubbly women who focus on getting the guy. I like many of these dramas. But when a drama offers a strong female character, my enjoyment increases.
* Detective Jo Soo Ji (Lee Si Young) loves being a cop. She’s hardworking and struggles to balance being a mother to a young daughter with the work she relishes. Sound like real life? Yep, it does. Soo Ji is a bit mouthy, direct, and fearless. She’s my new hero. The last kdrama I saw Lee Si Young was Boys Over Flower (the first kdrama I watched).
* Team Lead Lee Soon Ae (Kim Sun Young) is my kind of boss. She’s bit mouthy, direct, and no nonsense. She supports Soo Ji’s struggle to balance work and motherhood because she has the same struggle. Her daughter looks to be in high school.
* Prosecutor Jang Do Han (Kim Young Kwang) is arrogant, manipulative, and a blast to watch. I have a soft spot in my hard for Young Kwang who was terrific in Pinocchio and Good Doctor. I had hoped to see him in a lead role. My wish has been granted.
* The rest of the characters and cast are solid. Though we’ve only scratched the surface of the story and these characters, I look forward to getting to know all of them.
* New writer Kim Soo Eun delivered a script with witty, wry, dialog that was tight and balanced. I have no complaints only praise for the opening episodes of this series. Writer Kim drew me into Lookout immediately. I look forward to this 16 episode series (episodes are split). I think this show will be a fun ride.
* Ranking the episodes (on a scale from 1-10) had me rank episode 1 and 2 as very good. My episode ranking chart is below.
* The first song of the OST, “Amen” by Damiano featuring. Jun Ji Yoon is a good one: