My Thoughts — My Secret Romance — Episode 13 (Final)
At the end of my recaps I have a “My Thoughts” section where I summarize my opinions. I just finished the final episode of My Secret Romance. This show continues was my guilty pleasure, who knows what will take that spot next.
* Our couple reunited…again. Yoo Mi broke up with Jin Wook while he was sleeping. Remember when I said she wasn’t the brightest bulb in the bunch? Bingo! Her reason did not resonate. We were “treated” to another round of sad faces on our leads until they both decided they were going to reunite. There was plenty of filler in this episode. There wasn’t enough screen time of our couple being happy in the final episode.
* Writer Kim faltered in the last 4 episodes. Everything that happened was standard Kdrama fare. Even so, I was glad to see the OCN network put a romantic comedy in their lineup. I hope OCN considers this experiment of this genre a success.
* Their lobby “reunited and it feels so good” kiss wasn’t as good as their beach “full circle moment” kiss in the previous episode. But so what? I got one more “swoop-a-licous” kiss from Sung Hoon.
* This couple’s appeal was primarily driven by Jin Wook. Yoo Mi felt like an interchangeable kdrama leading lady. Jin Wook’s direct and earnest need to have Yoo Mi in his life never wavered even though she did. Jin Wook was appealing. Yoo Mi’s appeal was limited.
* My Secret Romance achieved the minimum of what I hoped it would. I wanted to see if Sung Hoon could carry a leading man role. The answer is yes, he can. In fact, Sung Hoon carried this drama. I’d like to see Sung Hoon star in another better written, better cast, better produced drama. Sung Hoon has presence, fabulous hair, rocks shades better than most, and established he deserves another leading man opportunity.
* Cha Jin Wook (Sung Hoon) got dumped by Yoo Mi…again. That was a full circle moment he could have done without. I enjoyed the mother / son reunion. She patiently waited for him to come to her. This mirrored Jin Wook’s stance with Yoo Min. Sung Hoon’s tears felt genuine as he managed to eat and cry at the same time. WHY she left was never clarified. My money is on Jin Wook’s father as the drive why she left the house and had to leave Jin Wook behind. I respected Jin Wook quitting his father’s company so he could be with the woman he loved. He even reconciled with his father enjoying regular dinners. I had to smile when Jin Wook’s father groused that Jin Wook stole the best people to work at his new company. I also smiled in the epilogue when Yoo Min’s mother had the racy photos, Sung Hoon’s reactions and delivery were fun to watch.
* Lee Yoo Mi (Song Ji Eun) dumped Jin Wook…again. I was fooled at the end of the previous episode when Yoo Mi stared at Jin Wook’s sleeping face and vowed this man, her first love, would be her last…then she said let’s break up. What? Are you kidding me? I shook my head in patent disgust. She suffered without him in her life. When her mother went on live TV and urged her daughter to pursue the man she loved without worrying about what others thought, Yoo Mi resolved to go get her man. Yoo Mi struggled to overcome the shame of her mother’s career choice until the end. She ended the episode in a cute shorter dress that showed more skin than any other outfit, which signified she was comfortable in her skin without self-censorship.
* Support characters:
** Jang Woo Jin (Park Shin Woon) shopped for clothes with kitchen worker Kang Je Ni. I liked that she maintained she’d be hot when she was 20 years older. Bully for her, that’s a goal to have.
** Jung Hyun Tae (Kim Jae Young) invited Joo Hye Ri to travel with him and date him. We knew this would happen and it did. At least Joo Hye Ri asked him to date her first.
** Yoo Min’s mother gave Yoo Mi straight talk on live TV. That was completely in character. I could have done without the second wedding but it provided another full circle moment which Writer Kim focused on in these final episodes.
* Ranking the episodes (on a scale from 1-6) had me rank episode 13 as farily good as our couple got back together and committed to get married. My episode ranking chart is below.
If you liked the OST, check out this playlist of of all the OST songs (official and non-official: