My Thoughts — My Secret Romance — Episodes 10-11
At the end of my recaps I have a “My Thoughts” section where I summarize my opinions. I just finished episodes 10-11 of My Secret Romance. This show continues to be my guilty pleasure.
* The question of Dong Goo’s mother was resolved with little fanfare. Jin Wook’s father tried to pinch a hair from the child and was accosted by Yoo Min’s mother. She indignantly spurned his repeated attempted to touch her child and declared she was the mother. I expected a more of a reaction from mother and daughter that Jin Wook and his father thought the child birthed by Yoo Min. That scene was almost anticlimactic for a plot point that had been built up for 2 episodes, it was quickly dispensed.
* I was a bit bored these two episodes. When the main couple separates, then scenes are about their sadness at being separated, trying to rebuild their lives though sad, etc. Frankly those scenes didn’t grab me. I’m ready for these two to move past it. Their separation discussion in the car didn’t have much emotional impact except Jin Wook watching his worst nightmare come true, another woman he loves, leaves him.
* Cha Jin Wook (Sung Hoon) feared driving Yoo Min away like his mother left him at a young age. He let himself be scared by Assistant Jang’s warning not to let Yoo Min be a repeat performance of his mother. That irked me. Jin Wook had NOTHING to do with his mother leaving the household. She left his father and I’m guessing he strong armed her into leaving Jin Wook with him. I understand that he feels guilt but I would have thought that faithful Assistant Jang wouldn’t have made an analogy that would scare Jin Wook into inaction. Jin Wook’s father’s warning that Yoo Min couldn’t be happy forever and would leave him, was understandable because it happened to him and he assumed history will repeat itself with his son. All that boils down to Jin Wook acting out of the norm. I accept his fear of losing another women he loves, but it hamstrung him into a passive state. One of the pluses of Jin Wook is his candor. He was muzzled these two episodes. I didn’t like it. We did get one “swoop-a-licious” kiss.
* Lee Yoo Mi (Song Ji Eun) suffered through multiple rounds of gossip. She had round one at the company and round two at her new work location, the school. I felt bad for her, as she was a victim in a gossip obsessed society. It must have reminded her of having to endure the gossip about her mother in high school. All that being said, she ran and hid but found her hiding place wasn’t supportive and even worse. I continue to notice her limited intelligence. Can I give her a complete pass believing that everything she had with Jin Wook was because he thought he might be the father? No, I can’t. 99% of their relationship had nothing to do with his belief the child was his.
* Writer Kim provided our couple a standard break up. I feel like I got cheated out of 2 episodes of this series that could have been fun but instead were not.
* Support characters:
** Jang Woo Jin (Park Shin Woon) gave Jin Wook bad advice then reversed himself. He initially told Jin Wook to stay away from Yoo Jin to not scare her away like his mother. That was irksome and bad advice. At the end of the episode, he tells Jin Wook to be true to himself and go get the girl. I wish he would have taken that stance initially.
** Jung Hyun Tae (Kim Jae Young) admitted he likes Yoo Mi but was clear he’d missed his opportunity. I like this character. He’s honorable, nice, and cute. He’s kind to Yoo Min, who deserves it. Will he get involved with Hye Ri? It looks like the writer may be heading that way.
** Wanna be girlfriend Joo Hye Ri got herself together enough to accept Jin Wook’s decision not to date her. Instead of ignoring his clear communication that there would not be romance, this time she felt the pain, processed it, and came out on the other side willing to support Jin Wook without expectation of romance. I still don’t like this character much, but she did evolve in these two episodes.
** Yoo Min’s mother overshared on TV creating an embarrassing situation for her daughter. Not cool.
* Ranking the episodes (on a scale from 1-6) had me rank episodes 10-11 as fair. My episode ranking chart is below.