My Thoughts — My Secret Romance — Episodes 7-8
At the end of my recaps I have a “My Thoughts” section where I summarize my opinions. I just finished episode 8 of My Secret Romance.
* Episode 8 was a delight! I loved this episode. It had me smiling the entire time. Our couple took great strides forward in their relationship. They had a sweet honesty coupled with a gentle hesitation with each other. He’s sweet with her. She’s learning to be more comfortable and says more directly what she’s thinking. Two moments that stood out (1) The prop box was obviously empty but Sung Hoon and Ji Eun gamely engaged in keep away. When she grab him and he said you got me, she hiccupped and he loved it. I did too! (2) Their honest discourse about their first encounter. Her regrets, his lack of regret and wish that she could see it another way. That was surprisingly mature.
* The question about the 3 year child looms. Did Yoo Mi get pregnant after their single night together? Is the child theirs? The child actor is okay but not as charming as some I’ve seen.
* Cha Jin Wook (Sung Hoon) is bold and bashful. He enjoyed watching her interest in him. Nothing better than knowing the attraction is mutual. Writer Kim gave Jin Wook many cute lines. I liked it when they texted each other during work and he commented that she can’t play had to get any better than he could. They are well suited as they are both honest and not coy though they can be bashful. Did anyone not fall in love with Jin Wook when he was at the playground and engaged all the children? The other mothers were swooning. I was right there with them. I also enjoyed when his former mentor from when he was a bell boy for short period made the valid point that apologizing to guests was his job. I am enjoying Sung Hoon and his portrayal Jin Wook. I still think his kissing style has room for improvement but he is injecting a forthright charm into Jin Wook.
* Lee Yoo Mi (Song Ji Eun) has found a voice. She was more consistently direct with him. She was ready and willing to kiss him in the pool. But when he wanted to come into her room she held firm. His delight in her hiccups is fun to watch. Yoo Mi was concerned about Jin Wook seeing the child. Is it his child?
* The production continues to embraces fun and reduce the kitsch. The beginning drawings are a clever recap of previous episode. The epilogues don’t seem to add much other than a “directors cut” slightly different look at a scene. I have to admit, this show is my guilty pleasure.
* Writer Kim gave our couple plenty of screen time. These two episodes featured our couple the majority of the time. I enjoyed every moment of this cute couple finding their way to each other.
* Support characters I like:
** Jang Woo Jin (Park Shin Woon) stood out in the pumpkin orange suit. The stylist continues to explore boundaries with this character. He was cute when he realized he’d have to find his own way home from the resort.
** Jung Hyun Tae (Kim Jae Young) struggled with his feelings. He wanted to act but couldn’t. His interaction with Joo Hye Ri, Jin Wook’s wanna be girlfriend, was decent. They both spoke truths to each other. But the best scene was his drinking truth session with Jin Wook. Nothing like two guys that like the same girl getting sloshed together.
* Support characters that don’t irk me as much:
* Her mother and his wanna be girlfriend. Yoo Mi’s mother enjoyment of Jin Wook’s body and her on-point observation that Hyun Tae had competition were delivered with glee. Is she caring for Yoo Mi’s child? Joo Hye Ri admitted she’d waited a ton of years for Jin Wook. Hyun Tae correctly noted she was afraid to pursue a real relationship.
* Ranking the episodes (on a scale from 1-6) had me rank episode 7 good but episode 8 was terrific and earned top marks. My episode ranking chart is below.