My Thoughts — My Secret Romance — Episodes 5-6
At the end of my recaps I have a “My Thoughts” section where I summarize my opinions. I just finished episode 6 of My Secret Romance. Here is my thinking on the latest episodes of this show.
* Cha Jin Wook (Sung Hoon) has a charm that draws me to him. He has an adorable desire for her to care for him as he cares for her. She’s the “one that got away”. I was hoping he’d figure out her “tell” of hiccups whenever he was near. He did. He loved it. I did too. His idea of 10 meals together guaranteed time together while not being full-on date mode. When he worried about her reaction when he wanna be girlfriend (Joo Hye Ri) upstaged her wholesome homemade lunch with beautiful boxed lunches, he hooked me. I loved his sensitivity to her feelings. I am enjoying Sung Hoon and his portrayal of a man with a plan. His preening in front of the mirror after recalling their kiss (his delusion?) was too cute.
* Lee Yoo Mi (Song Ji Eun) seems more relatable. She was direct with him a couple of times, avoiding pushover status. Her flashbacks to the high school humiliation she bore as others learned her mother was an exotic actress, gave us insight why she sees her mother as selfish. She was sweetly apologetic about Jin Wook’s jewelry box, both them misunderstanding the other’s opinion on the contents. Her relationship with Hyun Tae is warm and hits the right notes of pure friendship on her part. Of course the best part of this episode duo, was her caring touch and soft kiss (real or imagined?) when Jin Wook was in the hospital. She allowed herself to dream and dare in that moment. Even better, Jin Wook enjoyed the touch (and kiss?), he didn’t sleep through it, as is typically done. With her subtle but clear green light, Jin Wook amped up his pursuit, much to my delight.
* The production continues to embraces fun and reduced the kitsch. The beginnings with drawings of the characters is a clever recap of previous series moments without video. This show is an easy breezy watch.
* Writer Kim gave our couple plenty of screen time. The previous episode decreased their screen time for secondary characters. But these two episodes featured our couple the majority of the time. They are why I’m watching. Their screen time (together and apart) should be high.
* Support characters I like:
** Jang Woo Jin (Park Shin Woon) doesn’t like his dandy dressing questioned, even by his boss. The stylist continues to explore boundaries with this character. The plaid suit and tie seemed tame, I wanted a plaid shirt too!
** Jung Hyun Tae (Kim Jae Young) is Yoo Mi’s friend grappling with his feelings for her. He sees he’s stuck in the friend zone but he’s trying to sort out his feelings too. That subtle questioning of himself is a nice nuance. He may avoid the second lead trap of longing, interfering, and rejection. His initial interactions with Jin Wook’s wanna be girlfriend Joo Hye Ri showed she could be a potential alternative love interest. I like this character. I want him happy, not stuck in hopeless longing.
* Support characters that rose in my regard:
* Her mother and his wanna be girlfriend. Yoo Mi’s mother bold pursuit of her own dreams, in a way that society didn’t approve, and the price she paid, made me like this character more. She wants to be a traditional actress but her past choices and her age make her path forward difficult. Joo Hye Ri was less annoying and seemed to soften her interactions with Jin Wook and Yoo Mi. Her claws were sheathed. Her initial interaction with Hyun Tae and his subsequent rejection of her interview request was standard fare but they have potential.
* Ranking the episodes (on a scale from 1-6) found me ranking ep 5 and 6 equally enjoyable. My episode ranking chart is below.