Our leading man steps in the a trap. Will our leading lady be able to help?
Character Line Up:
1. Seo Jin Woo (Yoo Seung Ho), lawyer whose father is wrongly imprisoned for a crime rich heir Nam Gyoo Man committed.
2. Lee In A (Park Min Young), prosecutor who wants reverse the unfair conviction of Jin Woo’s father.
3. Park Dong Ho (Park Sung Woong), lawyer that betrayed Jin Woo’s father in court leading to his wrongful conviction when rich heir Gyoo Man’s father offered the right incentive.
4. Nam Gyoo Man (Namgung Min), rich heir, spoiled with anger issues, is a murderer who believes wealth will get him out of any legal issue.
5. Nam Yeo Kyung (Jung Hye Seong), rich heiress and sister of Gyoo Man.
Remember (aka Remember: War of the Son) Episode 7 Recap
We begin with Jin Woo badgering the witness into admitting the case against the vice president was a setup. Oh how Jin Woo would love someone to say the same about his father’s wrong conviction. Dong Ho gives Gyoo Man the bad news, his setup of the vice president was thwarted by Jin Woo. Gyoo Man has freaks out then is astonished when his sister Yeo Kyung arrives at the bar with Jin Woo, the lawyer he’d like to personally strangle. Dong Ho recommends they leave. Jin Woo can’t resist poking at Gyoo Man declaring the next time he’ll see him in court.
In the car Gyoo Man is livid. When Do Ho tells him that his father framed the vice president for him, he’s surprised.
When Jin Woo returns to the office his assistant learns that he came face to face with Gyoo Man. Jin Woo admits he’s wanted this day to come but the other part of his day, when his father did not remember him, sucked. Jin Woo cries pretty.
Dong Ho shares his concerns for Jin Woo with Suk Joo Il.
Gyoo Man thanks his father for his help with the vice president. Father says people are tools that need to be changed regularly. Gosh, that is cold! Gyoo Man warns his sister, Yeo Kyung, to keep away from Jin Woo. She refuses, she’s a prosecutor (I didn’t realize that until now) and knows Jin Woo is a good man.
In lieu of money, the vindicated vice president gives Jin Woo records of the Nam’s company’s illegal slush fund. The vice president says he and his family will leave Korea now that he’s been betrayed by the Nam family but because of Jin Woo’s efforts avoided the wrongful charges. Smart man, take your second chance, and get a fresh start with your family.
A man calls Jin Woo and asks to meet about his father’s case. He saw the banner Jin Woo put up and remembered he saw his father that fateful morning.
Gyoo Man closes a big deal with an American company to prove to his father he can be the leader of the company.
Jin Woo’s two assistants are surprised when In A visits the office. Not often opposing counsel that loses visits the winning attorney. Jin Woo tells In A he’s going to request a retrial. He remembers something then leaves.
Jin Woo tells his assistant his distance from In A is the best thing for her. He must keep her safe.
Jin Woo files the retrial request which is accepted. He sees the prosecutor (In A’s boss) as he leaves and claims this time the real killer will be brought to justice.
In A and Yeo Kyung share an elevator and dance around their interest in Jin Woo.
Gyoo Man tells Dong Ho he needs a background check on Jin Woo. Gyoo Man lies that he wants to live quietly.
The judge sees the retrial request. He meets Gyoo Man and Dong Ho. The judge asks if Gyoo Man knows about the case. Silence is all he gets.
Gyoo Man tells his assistant he’s opting to put pressure on Jin Woo.
Il A meets with Jin Woo’s father. He, of course, does not know who she is. She tells him she’s a friend of his son, Jin Woo. He, of course, does not know he has a son. That surprises her. She goes to the prison doctor and demands to know why Jin Woo’s father is not be treated for Alzheimer’s. Jin Woo is surprised to see Il A at the prison. She lies she’s there for research. She lies she did not visit his father. She wishes him well on the retrial.
His assistant finds a missing witness. Jin Woo speeds to her and recalls how she lied about his father’s odd behavior implying he might have been a murderer. The witness is not happy to see Jin Woo. He tells her she is a lier. He gives his card to the woman’s daughter. Gyoo Man’s assistant watches it unfold.
Gyoo Man meets with the prosecutor chief, the detective from the original case, and Dong Ho. Gyoo Man tells the detective that Jin Woo is a concern. The detective assures Gyoo Man he’ll do what it takes to help him. Dong Ho tells Gyoo Man the success of the mistrial is unlikely. Gyoo Man is not comforted. Dong Ho tells the prosecutor they are both Gyoo Man’s puppets. They should form a club, Gyoo Man’s Lackeys.
Dong Ho frets that Jin Woo is in trouble and Gyoo Man will attack. He visits Jin Woo’s office. He warns Jin Woo that the Nam family will not accept an easy retrial. Jin Woo tells Dong Ho he caved to the Nam family money and power, but he will not.
Gyoo Man’s assistant tells Gyoo Man that Jin Woo found the woman they paid to lie on the stand years ago. Gyoo Man orders the woman killed. He won’t ask his father to clean up this mess a second time. His assistant balks at committing murder. Gyoo Man tells him to hire someone. He balks at that too. Gyoo Man grabs a stick and menacingly approaches his assistant who gets a beat down. Gyoo Man loves the violence and beats his assistant.
Il A meets with the prosecutor. He’s not happy that she made trouble at the prison with the doctor. He tells another prosecutor (her boss) to take over her current cases and give her the cold cases. Her boss tells her the chief prosecutor found success when Jin Woo’s father was convicted. She asks to look into the case again. He tells her no. Somehow I don’t think she will listen.
Jin Woo meets with the lying witness’s daughter. The witness sees this. Is guilt getting to her?
Joo Il meets Gyoo Man who asks him to kill the lying witness. He declines. Gyoo Man threatens Dong Ho. He gets Joo Il’s attention with that. Nice touch, Dong Ho was threatened with Joo Il four years ago. This is a full circle moment.
Dong Ho’s assistant is not happy to see the bruises on Gyoo Man’s assistant who defends Gyoo Man as having a behavior disorder.
Joo Il hires someone to kill the lying witness.
The lying witness opens the apartment door to find Gyoo Man’s assistant. He warns her to behave herself if she wants to live.
Jin Woo, looking fabulous in a fuzzy witness sweater, studies the retrial documents. Later, he lays on the couch and remembers happy times with his father.
Jin Woo learns Il A created a ruckus at the prison over his father’s treatment. Of course, his father doesn’t remember him. Jin Woo tells his father there will be a retrial. His father is more excited about the picnic lunch. His father asks what kind of person he was. Jin Woo tells his father that he was the best father in the world. His father asks if he had a son. Jin Woo cries. He cries pretty. Nice moment, first time I felt anything for the father.
The lying witness is alone in her house. A man slips into her house and….
Dong Ho is happy to see Il A. She tells him his misdeed will be revealed in the retrial. He tells her there is no absolute truth. She tells him Jin Woo’s father is innocent and it will be revealed. Jin Woo overhears. He takes her to coffee and thanks her for intervening on his father’s behalf. Jin Woo declares the retrial is the only way to free his father.
Jin Woo gets a text from the lying witness to meet her. Hmmm, is this a setup?
Jin Woo arrives at the apartment and finds the door ajar. He enters and finds the woman on the floor, dead by strangulation. The police arrive. Of couse, it is the detective from long aloi. He declares he has caught Jin Woo and he must be arrested for murder. Jin Woo jumps through the apartment window and runs from the police. Are you kidding me? To get away, Jin Woo takes a man’s bike, then hides. This was a bit ludicrous.
Dong Ho sees that Jin Woo is wanted for murder on the TV.
Il A sees that Jin Woo is wanted for murder on the TV. She calls him. No answer.
Yeo Kyung sees that Jin Woo is wanted for murder on the TV.
The police break into Jin Woo’s office. He orders Jin Woo’s assistants brought in for questioning. When they see the police will find Jin Woo’s secret hiding place, they leave willingly with the police. Jin Woo watches them leave. He goes into his secret hiding place. Il A arrives at the office. She hears someone. Dong Ho arrives at the office. Il A enters the secret room. She sees the timeline. She asks what is happening. Jin Woo admits he fell into the trap Gyoo Man set for him.
Il A hears someone enter the office. Thinking quickly, she exits to the secret room. She finds Dong Ho entering the office. Dong Ho asks her where Jin Woo is. They stare at each other.
* I’m torn about Jin Woo being set up for the lying witness’s murder. On the one hand, this makes him on the run from the law and unable to proceed with the retrial until his innocence is revealed, which seems counter productive. On the other hand, this makes Il A a partner to the case, not just a friend trying to help Jin Woo, but so far ignored.
* Jin Woo refuses to listen to those that recommend subtlety in taking on Gyoo Man Jin Woo’s goal is simple, free his father. He saw no option but the retrial. I find it shortsighted he submitted for the retrial without having the evidence to free his father in hand. What happened to the DVD of Gyoo Man admitting to the murder? Even if Jin Woo couldn’t admit that as evidence in court, the court of public opinion would have a field day with that video. Imagine the number of hits it would get. The escape through the window was unbelievable. It was similar to the moment in the backstory episodes when Jin Woo and Il A escape gangsters with poker chips, a liter of coke and jumping off a roof onto a moving dump truck. He does cry pretty!
* In A looks like she may step up to a lead role now that Jin Woo needs her help. I liked her interaction at the prison. Hopefully she make smart choices to help Jin Woo. I want to see this character prove she has brains as well as heart.
* Dong Ho has to walk a fine line to help Jin Woo but not anger Gyoo Man. It’s almost impossible to please Gyoo Man. Jin Woo does not trust him. I believe Dong Ho can and will come through for Jin Woo and his father. I look forward to his participation. Dong Ho was stellar in the backstory episodes and I want him to sparkle again.
* Gyoo Man is violent, cruel and arrogant. He is an evil character. Nothing redeeming about him at all. I can’t wait for his arrogance to trip him up or Jin Woo / Il A / Dong Ho to get the best of him. We’ve got a ways to go for that to happen.
* Yeo Kyung is a prosecutor. That surprised me. She is ancillary to the story at this point.