I’ve been watching Remember (aka Remember: War of the Son) which is 20% complete. Here are my thoughts so far.
Character Line Up:
1. Seo Jin Woo (Yoo Seung Ho), lawyer whose father is wrongly imprisoned for a crime rich heir Nam Gyoo Man committed.
2. Lee In A (Park Min Young), prosecutor who wants reverse the unfair conviction of Jin Woo’s father.
3. Park Dong Ho (Park Sung Woong), lawyer that betrayed Jin Woo’s father in court leading to his wrongful conviction when rich heir Gyoo Man’s father offered the right incentive.
4. Nam Gyoo Man (Namgung Min), rich heir, spoiled with anger issues, is a murderer who believes wealth will get him out of any legal issue.
5. Nam Yeo Kyung (Jung Hye Seong), rich heiress and sister of Gyoo Man.
Back Story (Episodes 1 – 4)
The show spent a good portion of episodes establishing the back story of the show. Jin Woo’s father, who has Alzheimer’s disease, was framed for a murder Gyoo Man committed. Gyoo Man is a cruel, heartless, rich heir who believes he is untouchable. So far, he’s right. Gyoo Man’s father bribes Jin Woo’s father’s lawyer Dong Ho during the trial not to submit the evidence that would have pointed a finger at his son as the murderer. Jin Woo’s was stunned and crushed at Dong Ho’s betrayal and vowed to put Gyoo Man in prison and free his father. In A was Jin Woo’s friend throughout his father’s trial. Jin Woo has photographic memory not only of what he reads but what he experiences in life. He can replay any scene and pick out any detail.
Present Day (Episodes 5-6)
Jin Woo returns from America a lawyer with a plan. He will methodically deal with those perpetrated the wrongful conviction of his father. To that end he establishes his own law practice with a view of the company the Nam family owns. He takes on a sexual harassment case as the defense lawyer that In A, a prosecutor, is prosecuting. Jin Woo takes the case to put himself in the line of sight of the Nam family and Dong Ho and thwart the Nam family from framing another person. Episode 6 ends with Jin Woo’s success, Gyoo Man’s anger, Dong Ho wanting to stop Jin Woo’s dangerous path. In A is sad that her former friend is cold and distance with her, even though she wants to reverse the wrong his father suffered.
* The writer, Yoon Hyun Ho, who won Best Screenplay for “The Attorney”) at the 2014 Daejong Film Awards, has a clear plan for this story and is peeling the layers away each episode. The cliff hangers for each episode are compelling and make you want to know what happens next. There isn’t much for the female characters to do, this is all about the male characters grappling with each other. In A wants to help, but she does not have the information and is lower rung prosecutor with minimal power. Yeo Kyung, the sister of evil Gyoo Man, and somehow clueless about her brother’s true nature, is simply a pawn in the story.
* Leading man, Jin Woo, once a powerless boy who saw his father’s fate cruelly crushed, is a man with a mission to right the wrongs committed against his father, but he has limited time to accomplish his goal. Naturally, Jin Woo, the lawyer, is more interesting than the powerless boy. I like that certain of Jin Woo’s lawyer traits mimic Dong Ho, the lawyer who betrayed his father.
* Leading lady, In A, seems more like a secondary character at this point. She wants to get in the ring and fight with/for Jin Woo, but he’s a lone wolf and does not want her help. In the back story episodes, her character was stereotype – perky, honest, and loyal – and did not resonate with me. Present day In A is more interesting, though I wonder if she will ever have equal footing with the men grappling with each other.
* Lawyer that betrayed Jin Woo, Park Dong Ho, is portrayed with flair. This character drove episodes 3 and 4 with his smart, determination to free Jin Woo’s father. But when Gyoo Man’s father dangled helping Dong Ho’s father figure friend, Dong Ho choose loyalty over ethics. The present day Dong Ho is more a servant to the Nam family and you can tell it chafes him. He understands only too well Jin Woo’s desire to nail Gyoo Man for the murder he committed but knows the Nam family can and will crush Jin Woo if threatened. Dong Ho is in a difficult position of serving the Nam family but wanting to help Jin Woo.
* Arrogant heir and murderer, Gyoo Man, is a man who knows that he cannot be touched. His father, their wealth, his position allow him to be cruel without reprisal. There is nothing redeeming about Gyoo Man. The character is played to cold, cruel perfection. I can’t wait to see him suffer and afraid.
* Clueless heiress, Yeo Kyung, astonishes me which her obliviousness to her brother’s true nature. I can buy her being unaware of her father’s manipulations and true nature but I would think that her brother Gyoo Man was a cruel child and she’d know this having grown up with him. This character has little to do so far except be jealous of In A’s friendship with the judge she pins for.
* This is a solid drama with an intriguing story that is heavily weighted to the male characters being the interesting ones. Side note – Jin Woo’s father does not engender himself to me. I know his child-like clueless ways are due to the Alzheimer’s. But I am not drawn to want to protect this character. Irregardless, the show has garnered good ratings, which are well deserved. I look forward to future episodes.