Yong Pal does not realize he is communicating with our VIP leading lady Yeo Jin. She finds a way to let him know.
The players: Kim Tae Hyun (Joo Won), a gifted surgeon, incurred debt to pay for dialysis for his sister, Kim So Hyun (Park Hye Soo). He assumed the Yong Pal identity to be a doctor to gangsters. It fell apart when the police found Yong Pal’s scalpel and tracked it to the hospital. The police talked to Chief Surgeon Lee (Jung Woong In), who hates Tae Hyun. Instead of turning Tae Hyun over to the police, Chief Surgeon Lee presses Tae Hyun to tend to VIP only patients. Desperate to keep his job so he can continue to dialysis for his sister (and pay his debts), Tae Hyun agrees.
Our leading lady is sedated VIP patient Yeo Jin (Kim Tae Hee). Yeo Jin is there due to a car accident that killed her boyfriend. Yeo Jin is personally tended to by Chief Surgeon Lee who is in cahoots with her brother, Han Do Joon (Jo Hyun Jae) to keep her secluded and sedated. Do Joon’s wife Chae Young (Chae Jung An) is working against her husband and wants access to Yeo Jin.
Yong Pal Episode 4 Recap
When Chief Lee takes Tae Hyun into the room he recognizes Yeo Jin. She’s in a permanent vegetative state. Chief Lee tells him as an owner of the company, she can never die, hence they keep her alive. Chief Lee mocks Tae Hyun’s curiosity. It made him an accomplice to the crime of keeping her alive but dead. Tae Hyun learns that the order of succession in the company goes to Yeo Jin first then her brother Do Joon. Chief Lee is blunt, talk about this and your death and your sister’s death is guaranteed. Chief Lee notes that Tae Hyun did this to himself.
Outside, Chief Lee introduces Tae Hyun to Nurse Hwang. They share looks that say they are now both accomplices to keeping Yeo Jin alive but not functional.
Tae Hyun receives a call that his sister has been moved up the transplant list. Tae Hyun’s joy is tempered by the Director’s hand in making this happen. He is grateful and bows to Chief Lee. Membership in the 12 floor club has rewards and a price to pay.
When Tae Hyun calls his sister, his demeanor softens. Until she tells him there father has come home. Tae Hyun gets angry and hangs up.
The next day he wakes up alone in the bed. Imagine his surprise when the first client is none other than the woman he spent the evening with. Chae Young pretends not to know Tae Hyun. He can’t contain his surprise when he finds out who she is. Their evening together is not a secret. Do Joon’s assistant has pictures of them drinking and going to the hotel.
12th floor rounds for Chief Lee and Tae Hyun: The abuse victim Tae Hyun saved won’t speak to Chief Lee or Tae Hyun. The actor that abused the victim is the next visit. Looks like he got someone to take the fall for hurting the victim. He’s all smiles. Holy smokes the next patient is the gangster that jumped off the bridge with Tae Hyun. He doesn’t recognize Tae Hyun who wore a mask when he assumed the Yong Pal persona. Once Chief Lee leaves the room, we find out that the gangster does indeed know who Yong Pal is. The gangster tells him he now looks like “a bellboy from a hotel”, ha!
For privacy, Tae Hyun goes into Yeo Jin’s room. Tae Hyun calls his debt collector, angry that his real identity was provided to the gangsters. Yeo Jin overhears the call and wonders what it means. She hopes Tae Hyun will realize she’s conscious. She rails internally. He checks her pupils. He gets a reaction when he touches her feet. Nurse Hwang interrupts his assessment. She tells him she outranks him in this room. Lowly gangster doctors don’t score with her. Geez, everyone seems to know Tae Hyun’s “secret”.
Chae Young asks Tae Hyun to let her meet her sister in law, Yeo Jin. They are interrupted when Cynthia tells them that Yeo Jin must be evacuated before anyone else in the hospital can be. Abuse victim has done something to the power generator and it could blow. Nurse Hwang and Tae Hyun transport Yeo Jin to a waiting van. In a bold move, Tae Hyun grabs the keys and demands to know what the situation in the hospital is. He knows his sister is there getting dialysis. The 12th floor is fleeing the hospital.
Tae Hyun heads to the power generator area and demands to be allowed to talk to the abuse victim that has blocked access to the room. He pleads with her. She doesn’t care. He explains the entire hospital will be radiated but her abuser is already left, so only the innocent will suffer the pain of radiation poisoning. He shares his story – his sister’s illness, that his father is an abusive drunk, and his mother died waiting for surgery to save her life. She’s touched but when it looks like all is saved, deadly gases fill the room rendering her unconscious. Tae Hyun demands they open the door, heedless of the danger. He pulls her out. He manages to reset the panel before falling unconscious himself. Cynthia and others race in the room to retrieve him. One word…ridiculous.
Tae Hyun hallucinates his mother making stew for him. Good news, he is not contaminated. He wakes to Cynthia and the others. His sister is fine getting her dialysis. The 12th floor occupants return to the hospital. Tae Hyun spots the actor and decks him. Nice! Unfortunately the others won’t have the same reaction. Nurse Hwang returns with Yeo Jin. He puts her back on the bed. Nurse Hwang leaves to get more drugs. The debt collector calls and Tae Hyun the amount he owes. The interest must be insane because Tae Hyun does not react well to the news. Yeo Jin opens her eyes. Tae Hyun has his back to her and does not realize this. He mutters “it is one thing after another”. Yeo Jin asks “shall I lend you the money?” Tae Hyun’s eyes widen with shock.
- The potential explosion section of the show was ridiculous. I hope the writers don’t fall into this trap again. Tae Hyun is a mortal man and having him negotiate with the victim, dash into the room to save her, knowing which button to push to avoid the meltdown, passing out, then being perfectly fine when he wakes…ridiculous.
- Chief Lee wasn’t sad but he wasn’t dancing with joy when he told Tae Hyun that now that he knew the secret of Yeo Jin he was forever bound to keep it or die. Actor, Woong In, is superb as Chief Lee. You don’t like him but you see he is a hurt and angry man. He seems human.
- Nurse Hwang give me the creeps. Her crooning care and obsession with Yeo Jin makes me uncomfortable, which is the intended reaction.
- Tae Hyun was the poster child for “had a bad day”. Let’s tick off this list – thinks he slept with the chairman’s wife, drunk abusive father enters his life again, hospital almost blows up with his sister in it, and he learns the secret of Yeo Jin only to realize he is forever chained to it. Membership in the 12 floor club has rewards (his sister imminent transplant) and a price to pay (see previous list).
- Yeo Jin is intriguing though we still know little. I’m glad we know why her brother is keeping her in the drugged state – it’s all about control of the company. I liked how the show had her looking up into the light when Tae Hyun shined the flashlight into her eyes. I liked how she provided subtle clues that she wasn’t really in a coma, though Tae Hyun missed every one of her signals. I hope she’s smart. Now that she’s awake and Tae Hyun knows it, the show should kick it up a notch. Excellent cliffhanger for this episode.