Yong Pal is clever and has a heart, though he hides it. He manages to learn more about our VIP leading lady Yeo Jin.
The players: Kim Tae Hyun (Joo Won), a gifted surgeon, suffers debt to pay for dialysis for his younger sister, Kim So Hyun (Park Hye Soo). He had assumed the Yong Pal identity as the doctor to gangsters. It all fell apart when the police found Yong Pal’s scalpel and tracked it to the hospital. The police talked to Chief Surgeon Lee (Jung Woong In), who hates Tae Hyun. Instead of turning Tae Hyun over to the police, Chief Surgeon Lee presses Tae Hyun to tend to VIP only patients. Desperate to keep his job so he can continue to dialysis for his sister (and pay his debts), Tae Hyun agrees.
Our leading lady is sedated VIP patient Yeo Jin (Kim Tae Hee). Yeo Jin is there due to a car accident that killed her boyfriend. Yeo Jin is personally tended to by Chief Surgeon Lee who appears to be in cahoots with her brother, Han Do Joon (Jo Hyun Jae).
Yong Pal Episode 3 Recap
Recall Yeo Jin held a shard of glass to her throat at the end of the last episode. Tae Hyun was preparing to secretly operate on a patient that could not afford it. When Yeo Jin is wheeled into the lobby of the operating room, Yeo Jin spots the shard of glass clutched in her hand. No one else notice while that wait for Chief Surgeon Lee to show and repair the cuts on her hand. When Yeo Jin puts the shard to her throat and prepares to cut her neck, Yeo Jin reaches his hand out and wrests the shard from Yeo Jin’s hand. She locks eyes with him, then he shuts the operating door.
His former residents and doctors feel abandoned with Yeo Jin’s move to the the VIP floor. He pretends indifference but he cares.
Manager Cynthia Park is efficient and sassy. She’s supports the premise that their clients pay for discretion and that is what the 12th floor provides.
When a famous client gets in a jamb, Cynthia and Yeo Jin make a house call. Yeo Jin is horrified to find the rich client and his entourage waiting while a woman lies bleeding on the floor. Yeo Jin quickly ascertains the client assualted the woman. Cynthia is resolute, their job is to save the client not the girl. Yeo Jin tries to save the girl in the room. He realizes that if the girl dies in the room it is trouble for the client. The girl is transferred to the hospital. He creatively helps the client escape scandal with the story that the client entered the room to save the girl when heard her shouts for help.
We learn that Yeo Jin’s brother, Do Joon, is married and his wife, Lee Chae Young (Chae Jung An), plays a dumb but is actively listening and plotting against her husband. When she visits the hospital, she gets valet parking and initially miffed when someone is using the VIP room, Cynthia calms her by mentioning the someone is the actor Daniel. That does the trick. Later Chae Youngcalls her father to let him know her husband is declaring he will “end two families under one roof”. Her father and the other CEOs that tried to visit Yeo Jin are working together and against Do Joon.
Tae Hyun pumps her for information about Yeo Jin. Cythnia tells him to be bold and ask the Director to be assigned to Yeo Jin. When the Director and Chief Surgeon Lee thank Tae Hyun and Cynthia for their quick thinking to save the client from scandal. Tae Hyun takes the opportunity to request that he offload Chief Surgeon Lee’s 24/7 duties with Yeo Jin. The Director agrees. Chief Surgeon Lee blusters that it is too soon. The Director notes this was the plan, now the time table has been accelerated. If looks could kill, Chief Surgeon Lee would eviscerate Tae Hyun.
The Director tells Cynthia to make over Tae Hyun to be more acceptable to their clients. Folks, Joo Won does not need a makeover but it was fun watching the different hairstyles and clothes being modeled by him.
We learn that Yeo Jin was in a star crossed relationship with Seo Hoon, the heir to her family’s competitor. On the night of the accident, Yeo Jin and Seo Hoon were eloping. Yeo Jin’s brother realizing this was situation sent his men after Yeo Jin and Seo Hoon but things got out of control, the accident occurred. We also learn that Yeo Jin has been stuck or shall I say imprisoned in the glass cage for 1165 days – 3 years! Now it makes sense why she considered slitting her own throat the only option to leave the glass cage. Chief Lee keeps her strongly sedated. The life Yeo Jin is living is in her mind, where she plots about escape and revenge against those who have keep her imprisoned.
The time has come for Tae Hyun to meet Yeo Jin. Chief Lee leads Tae Hyun through the security into the room. Tae Hyun is surprised to see the high tech glass room surround the sleeping Yeo Jin. Chief Lee tells Tae Hyun to introduce himself. As he bows and introduces himself to Yeo Jin, his eyes widen in surprise. Yeo Jin is the woman with the shard of glass at her throat. Yeo Jin hears Tae Hyun introduce himself. Does she recognize his name?
* This episode drew me in. We met Cynthia this episode. I like her. She drives fast cars, has a sassy confidence and is on board with exclusive clients. We met Chae Young who is smarter than she pretends to be. Getting information about her husband plans is important to protect her father. The pacing was good and another layer in the story was peeled away. The blood was less than the previous two episodes.
* Couple of fun songs highlighted this episode. “Animal” by Nickleback (link) and “I feel good” by James Brown (link).
* Our leading man, Tae Hyun, has a heart though he pretend otherwise. I love his sense of justice. He had to help the patient that couldn’t afford the surgery (and he lived). He tried to save the client’s victim (she died). While he pretended to be okay with the separation from his former colleagues, you could see he missed them. The 12th floor came with a price. I liked that the nurse that did the secret surgery sat next to him in the cafeteria when everyone else shunned him. While I enjoyed the revised haircut, thank goodness he ditched the glasses shortly after the make over.
* Our leading lady, Yeo Jin, has been in that room 3 years! We know she was in a star crossed relationship that ended in the car chase and death of her boyfriend Seo Hoon. But why is she continually sedated. What can she do that will upset the power base of her brother. Now that Tae Hyun has entered her world, will she wake and start interacting? I want to see Yeo Jin functional. How can Tae Hyun help this imprisoned character?
* The first song of the OST has been released. Check out “To My Love” by The One via the link or the embedded video below.