Our leading lady and leading man take dumb pills and put themselves in jeopardy, can they survive?
The players: Brother in Law Min Seok Hoon is portrayed with relish by Yeon Jeong Hun. Our leading lady, the replacement Seo Eun Ha and dead Byeon Ji Sook is portrayed by Soo Ae. My favorite is our heir with issues Choi Min Woo who is played by Ju Ji Hoon. Can’t be a quadrangle without a jealous boozy half sister Choi Mi Yeon portrayed by Yu In Young who nails the snide looks.
Mask Episodes 17-18 Summary
Eun Ha and Min Woo, confronts his sister, Mi Yeon about Seok Hoon’s actions. Min Yeon begs Min Woo and Eun Ha for time, she’ll make him confess. Instead Seok Hoon tells the family he’s leaving the house. Dramatically he leaves with only the clothes on his back.
Eun Ha’s brother tells her he’s donating part of his liver for their mother’s transplant surgery. Stunned that a transplant is required, Eun Ha grapples with the seriousness of her mother’s condition.
Eun Ha cannot get the man to confess that Seok Hoon hired the him to shoot Min Woo. Next she tries to track down who Seok Hoon hired to rig the lighting to drop.
Min Woo is thrilled to learn that the real Ji Sook likely did not kill her passenger. He hopes to send Seok Hoon to jail for providing false evidence.
Eun Ha and Min Woo looks at a place to live with her family. There is a flicker of heat between them when they both try out the bed. Eun Ha picks out a lovely ring for her mother. Min Woo lavishly buys most of the jewelry case for her mother.
Mi Yeon tells Seok Hoon that she hates him. She cannot forgive him shooting Min Woo. Seok Hoon messes with her head claiming he does love her. She wants that to be true so badly. She is willing to turn her brain off for the love she desperately craves.
With that turn of loyalty, Mi Yeon decides to mess with Eun Ha. She tries to run down her brother so he cannot be a donor for her mother’s surgery. But that’s only a ploy to get him alone and talk over tea.
Min Woo and Eun Ha prepare to leave for the hospital where they will watch the surgery progress of her mother from afar.
But things unravel before the surgery. Eun Ha’s mom goes into a coma. The doctor says immediate surgery will be needed when she wakes. Eun Ha’s brother has an allergic reaction and starts to break out.
Min Woo meets his friend the prosecutor. He’s ready to hand over the hard video evidence on Seok Hoon. But Seok Hoon calls Min Woo and threaten her with Eun Ha’s imprisonment if he shares the evidence. Thwarted Min Woo elects not to hand over the evidence.
In the hospital room, Eun Ha’s mother wakes. She’s positive she won’t make it. Eun Ha’s brother and father implore her to keep trying to live. But Eun Ha’s mother can only say she’s going to see her beloved Ji Sook and slips into death. When Eun Ha and Min Woo arrive at the hospital she finds her mother dead. She slips the ring on her mother’s finger and sobs. Eun Ha realizes that everything she did for money, led her down a dark path, one that her mother died without knowing her daughter was still alive.
Min Yeon can’t believe, that’s twice she’s directly involved herself in someone’s death. She confesses that she spiked Eun Ha’s brother’s tea to Seok Hoon. I don’t understand this but Seok Hoon pays the loan sharks big bucks to learn that Eun Ha’s mother death was not directly associated with Eun Ha’s brother’s allergic reaction. Why he didn’t just ask the doctor…I don’t know.
Eun Ha and her brother realize that Min Yeon was involved.
Min Woo remembers that Min Yeon’s actions directly contributed to the Eun Ha’s death.
Eun Ha tells Min Woo that Seok Hoon threatened her family. Min Woo remembers that Seok Hoon threatened Eun Ha. They agree not to turn in the video evidence until they have additional proof.
Seok Hoon lures Eun Ha’s father to a shopping trip that looks to Eun Ha as a kidnapping with nefarious intentions. She calls Seok Hoon who puts her father on the phone. All is well. When she speaks with Seok Hoon he admits he knows that Mi Yeon contributed to the situation with her mother. He implies he was part of that.
Brother in law Seok Hoon now has the power with Eun Ha with the threat of hurting her father and brother. The hard video evidence against Seok Hoon is rendered useless with Seok Hoon’s threats.
Seok Hoon seems omnipresent to Eun Ha and able to hurt anyone she loves.
Mi Yeon no longer wavers between supporting her brother Min Woo or her husband Seok Hoon. Strange, just last episode she felt her husband trying to shoot Min Woo was unacceptable. Now she knows Seok Hoon shot Min Woo and is lying about it. Her guilt over Eun Ha’s mother’s death makes her husband’s actions ok? Is she afraid he’ll turn her in? I really dislike this plot point.
In the driver’s seat, Seok Hoon decides it is time to end this once and for all. Seok Hoon’s plan? It’s simple now – kill Min Woo, kill Eun Ha, both is optimal.
Don’t worry, Eun Ha makes it easy for him. Eun Ha tells Seok Hoon that she wants Eun Ha to die so she can flee and begin again under a new identity. She offers all her shares to him in the event of her death. She tells him, he wins.
In reality, Eun Ha plans to trap Seok Hoon attempting to murder her and have him thrown in jail. In reality, Seok Hoon decides not to bother pretending to kill Eun Ha but actually killing her.
Because Father requests it to improve the publicity about the family, Min Young, Seok Hoon, Eun Ha and Min Woo head to a villa to pose as loving in-laws.
Eun Ha plans to expose Seok Hoon. But things don’t go as she plans.
We learn Eun Ha writes a letter intended to Min Woo to find after her “death” where she tells him the fire is part of a plan where she will trap Seok Hoon into becoming a murderer.
At the villa, everyone sits down to drink wine to relax before the reporters come to photographs them as one happy family. Min Yeon has a good line – it will be hard fake it unless we are drink right? But the conversation turns tense. The truth of Eun Ha’s identity get things going in a bad direction. Seok Hoon denies again that he shot Min Woo.
Then Min Woo and Min Young quarrel about Min Young’s willingness to lie that Seok Hoon did not shoot Min Woo and the fact that Min Young murdered the real Eun Ha when didn’t save drowning woman. Min Woo has a good line – have you been brainwashed by him?
In a dumb move, Min Woo leaves Eun Ha alone in the house with Seok Hoon to follow Min Young outside. She lures him away from the house where Seok Hoon’s evil sidekick knocks him out.
Seok Hoon keeps Eun Ha from following Min Woo. Eun Ha feels the effects of the drugged wine and passes out. Clever plot point that she is drugged with wine just as the real Eun Ha was drank drugged wine before she feel into the pool where Min Young walked away letting her drown. Seok Hoon puts her in the bedroom and wishes her a better life in the afterworld.
When Min Woo wakes up he is in a boat in the middle of the lake. Recall he is water phobic due to the accident where his mother died trying to save him. Min Woo sees the villa in flames and realizes Eun Ha must be in danger. Min Woo tries to start the engine in vain. Min Woo gathers his courage and jumps out of the boat to try and swim ashore.
Is this the end for both Min Woo and Eun Ha?
- Episodes 18 had our couple taking dumb pills and doing dumb things. The balance of good and evil tipped to give the advantage to evil. Why Eun Ha thought she could escape Seok Hoon or that he would keep his word and only pretend to kill her is beyond me. When in the course of this show has Seok Hoon kept his word to Eun Ha on anything? When Eun Ha pushed Min Woo away from her, she forced him to explore options to help without her consent.
- Speaking of taking a dumb pill and pulling an about face, why is Min Young totally under Seok Hoon’s spell? She abhorred his actions just a one episode ago but now is willing to do anything to keep her husband? The husband she wanted gone just recently? Why is she on board with killing Min Woo and Eun Ha. Is it the threat of her part in the deaths of real Eun Ha and Eun Ha’s mother? It was also difficult to watch her deny her part in the real Eun Ha’s death.
- Seok Hoon gained all the power these two episodes. Father in Law invited him to the return to the house. Min Young is willing to do anything to keep him by her side. Helping kill Min Woo and Eun Ha, no problem if Seok Hoon stays by her side. Eun Ha offered herself on a silver platter when she asked Seok Hoon to fake killing her. The glee Seok Hoon must have felt before he dropped the lighter onto the gasoline soaked floors at the villa. His plan to eliminate his enemies and gain control of the company to revenge his father was posed for success.
- With only two more episodes to go, what do I want to happen?
- Min Woo does not die
- Eun Ha does not die
- Seok Hoon is caught and prosecuted for his crime. Death is another option.
- Min Young loses her horrible husband Seok Hoon and gains some self respect. Better to be alone than dragged down by a loser.
- Eun Ha must be able to reveal that she is not Eun Ha but rather Byeon Ji Sook.
- The fourth song of the OST is “As If I’m Dead” by Chancellor and Vasco. Check it out via the link or the embedded video below.